POOL FENCE CHECKLIST
Our goal is to assist pool owners in obtaining a Pool Safety Certificate on the first inspection, to assist you in complying with the pool safety laws we recommend that you go through the checklist and rectify any potential non-conforming areas prior to your inspection date.
- Gates open away from the pool area
- Gates self-close from all positions from a standing start
- Gates self-latch properly. Including when it is only just open
- Gates operate in full arc of operation without getting stuck
- Hinges are at least 900mm apart or have a 60 degree hinge safety cap on the bottom hinge
- Gate latches on the outside are a minimum of 1500mm from the ground and at least 1400mm from the top bottom horizontal
- Gate latches on the inside are at least 150mm from the top of the gate
- Gate latches on the inside have a gap between the post and gate that does not exceed 10mm or is shielded
- Is made of durable and weatherproof materials
- Is at least 300mm x 300mm in size
- Is attached to the safety barrier for the pool, or displayed near the pool, so that the sign is easily visible to a person near the pool
- The barrier is at least 1200mm high from finished ground level.
- Panels, rails, rods and palings are in good order and all screws and/or nails are firmly in place.
- Posts and/or footings are in good order and are solid. i.e. not rotting, rusted
- Gaps in vertical bars and/or palings do not exceed 100mm in width or 105mm when squeezed.
- Ground clearance under the barrier does not exceed 100mm.
- Horizontal members are at least 900mm apart in the non-climb zone (or one has a 60 degree angle making it non-climbable).
- Barriers less than 1800mm high have a 900mm non-climb zone somewhere on the entire barrier. i.e. bottom and middle rail are at least 900mm apart and there are no climbable objects between the rail area such as tree branches.
- All climbable objects have been removed (or appropriately shielded) from the non-climb zone, additional clear area and clear area. i.e. BBQ’s, outdoor furniture, pot plants retainer walls.
- Branches that a child could use to climb are trimmed back so that there is no chance of a foot hold.
- There are no protruding bolts, hinges, power points or anything that is longer or wider than 10 mm that a child could use as a toe hold for climbing.
- There is an additional clear area 300mm on the fence. Usually at the bottom of the 900mm arc i.e. no steps, pot plants etc.
- For vertical members more than 10mm apart, there are not any nearby horizontal surfaces which could be used as footholds within 300mm on the inside non-climb zone of the fence.
- There are no climbable objects within 900mm of the fence on intersecting fences.
- For barriers 1800mm or more in height the top 900mm out and down is non-climbable on at least one side of the fence.
Windows & Doors
- Windows less than 900mm from floor level have security screens, bars or cannot open more than 100mm
- Windows more than 900mm and less than 1200mm from floor level have at least flyscreens attached to the building or do not open more than 100mm
This does not cover all requirements of the pool safety regulations, however the items listed are the most common faults that are found. A Checklist can also be found here http://www.qbcc.qld.gov.au/pool-checklist/